Marieke de Vries studied Psychology and took part in the Honours Program at the Radboud University Nijmegen. She obtained her Master’s degree in Social Psychology (Cum Laude) in 2003, and her Ph.D. in 2008. She currently works as an Assistant Professor at the Department of Social Psychology, Tilburg University, The Netherlands. Among her main topics of interest are the psychology of judgment and decision making, affect and emotion, intuitive and unconscious processes, and risk perception, with a special interest for the domain of medical decision making.
From 2004 to 2008 she worked as a junior researcher and teacher at the Behavioural Science Institute (Radboud University) in Nijmegen and wrote a dissertation, supervised by Prof. dr. Cilia Witteman and Dr. Rob Holland, on the influence of mood states on intuitive and deliberative decision making. In 2008, Marieke was a postdoctoral researcher, working together with Dr. Rob Holland at the Radboud University Nijmegen. From 2008 to 2011, she has been a Senior Researcher in the Psychology of Judgment and Decision Making at the Department of Medical Decision Making of the Leiden University Medical Center, the Netherlands.
Marieke obtained several grants (EASP & RU) for two research visits (2007 & 2008) to the University of California in San Diego (UCSD), to work together with Dr. Piotr Winkielman, for a research visit to Dr. Ellen Peters at Decision Research in Eugene (Oregon, USA) in 2010, for a research visit to Dr. Angela Fagerlin at the University of Michigan, to Dr. Ellen Peters at Ohio State University and to Dr. Jamin Halberstadt at the University of Otago in Dunedin (New Zealand) in 2011. Moreover, she obtained several larger scale research grants from the Netherlands Organisation for Health Research and Development (ZonMW). She currently supervises two postdoctoral researchers in Medical Decision Making: Dr. Suzanne Pietersma and Dr. Ineke van der Wulp.
- Emotion, Mood, Affect
- Health Psychology
- Judgment and Decision Making
- Life Satisfaction, Well-Being
- Neuroscience, Psychophysiology
- Social Cognition
Note from the Network: The holder of this profile has certified having all necessary rights, licenses, and authorization to post the files listed below. Visitors are welcome to copy or use any files for noncommercial or journalistic purposes provided they credit the profile holder and cite this page as the source.
- De Vries, M., Fagerlin, A, Witteman, H. & Scherer, L.D. (2012). Combining deliberation and intuition in patient decision support. Patient Education and Counseling, in press.
- Pieterse, A.H., De Vries, M., Kunneman, M., Stiggelbout, A.M., & Feldman-Stewart, D. (2012). Theory-informed design of values clarification methods: A cognitive psychological perspective on patient treatment decision making. Social Science & Medicine, in press.
- De Vries, M., Holland, R. W., Corneille, O., Rondeel, E., & Witteman, C. L. M. (2012). Mood effects on dominated choices: Positive mood induces departures from logical rules. Journal of Behavioral Decision Making, 25, 74-81.
- Holland, R.W., De Vries, M., Hermsen, B., & Van Knippenberg, A. (2012). Mood and the attitude-behavior link: The happy act on impulse, the sad think twice. Social Psychological and Personality Science, 3, 356-364. DOI: 10.1177/1948550611421635.
- Wulp, I. van der, Hout, W.B. van den, Vries, M. de, Stiggelbout, A.M., & Akker-van Marle, E.M. van den (2012). Societal preferences for standard health insurance coverage in the Netherlands: A cross-sectional study. BMJ Open, 2.
- Pieterse, A.H.*, & De Vries, M.* (2011). On the suitability of fast and frugal heuristics for designing values clarification methods in patient decision aids: A critical analysis. Health Expectations. doi: 10.1111/j.1369-7625.2011.00720.x *Equal contribution
- De Vries, M., Witteman, C. L. M., Holland, R. W., & Dijksterhuis, A. (2010). The unconscious thought effect in clinical decision making: An example in diagnosis. Medical Decision Making, 30, 578-581.
- De Vries, M., Holland, R. W., Chenier, T., Starr, M. J., & Winkielman, P. (2010). Happiness cools the warm glow of familiarity: Psychophysiological evidence that mood modulates the familiarity-affect link. Psychological Science, 21, 321-328..
- De Vries, M., Holland, R. W., & Witteman, C. L. M. (2008). In the winning mood: Affect in the Iowa gambling task. Judgment and Decision Making, 3, 42-50.
- De Vries, M., Holland, R. W., & Witteman, C. L. M. (2008). Fitting decisions: Mood and intuitive versus deliberative decision strategies. Cognition and Emotion, 22, 931-943.
- Holland, R. W., & De Vries, M. (2010). Implicit evaluation as a basis for intuition. In A. Gloeckner and C. L. M. Witteman (Eds.), Tracing intuition: Recent methods in measuring intuitive and deliberative processes in decision making (pp. 123-138). London and New York: Routledge.
Marieke de Vries
Department of Social Psychology
P.O. Box 90153
5000 LE Tilburg